Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What to Give Up for a Little While?

Next week marks the beginning of Lent.

Up until last year, I would give up random things without even thinking twice about it.  Most of the time it was something insignificant and didn't really matter that I even gave it up.

I was missing the point of Lent. This is a time to take away something that consumes you and distracts you from other things in life. Well last year, I faced the truth: Facebook consumes me. As I am writing this, I have a tab opened for Facebook. I spend way too much time on it. Mainly just going on other people's pages. I don't find it a bad thing to be informed of what's going on in other people's lives, but I end up wasting a lot of time on Facebook in place of doing more important or productive things.

Last year I gave up Facebook because I became envious and jealous of what others had or what they were doing. I became extremely negative towards myself about it. I hate to admit it, but it's true. After I gave up Facebook for Lent, I felt so much better about myself. I realized I didn't need to rely so heavily on Facebook.

This year, I am giving up Facebook...AGAIN, but not for the same reason.  I have other things that need to be accomplished throughout my day. Too many things. I want to let go of this huge distraction for a little while.

Some of the things I want to do in place of going on Facebook:
1. Spending time with God
2. Sewing
3. Writing letters
4. Catching up on my reading
5. Blogging

Spending more time with God is definitely the biggest goal for me during this time.

My second goal is to blog more. Since I won't be on Facebook, I want to still be connected with everyone.  My goal is to blog about something. ANYTHING for each day of Lent. I am leaving this open to anything. From a deep thought-out post to a picture to a craft to a song to a Bible verse to ...anything.  This might change as Lent progresses, but that's where I am at for now.

If you don't know me, I really enjoy challenges. I think this is going to be a good challenge. A fun one too. If you have any suggestions for what I can blog about, please share! I would love suggestions!

Are you giving up anything for Lent? Can I challenge you to purposefully give something up for Lent that will help you grow in your walk with Christ? I pray that whatever you give up, do it wholeheartedly and with the intent of looking to the Lord for guidance throughout that time.

Love you!

Until next time,
K

0 comments:

Post a Comment