Monday, March 14, 2011

Lent Challenge: Day 6 - Garen's 18th Birthday

Garen's 18th Birthday was this past Wednesday. I was fortunate enough to be on Spring Break and was home to celebrate with him and the family!

My dad and I got up early to go over to Garen's high school and paint the school rock:

Some of Garen's friends came over the night before his birthday and painted his car:

Garen requested a "cookie" cake for his birthday. Basically, I just made regular cookie dough, greased a baking sheet, evenly spread the cookie dough on the sheet, and baked it at its normal temperature. I think I shortened the bake time some, but I tried to stay in the kitchen until the edges were evenly browned (crunchy on the outer edges and chewy in the middle...best kind!)

I did have some "helpers" in the kitchen, while I was making the cookie cake:
James (cat) was "helping" me by repeatedly attacking my apron strings and clawing at my legs and Daisy (dog) was "helping" me by cleaning up the floor just in case I dropped any food ;)

I decorated Garen's cake using buttercream icing. The idea to draw a pair of "Ray Ban" sunglasses popped into my head randomly, and I decided to go with it. Garen loves his Ray Ban's! The black icing came out a little gray, but I wanted the icing to still have good flavor (the more dye, the less it tastes good). I used a gel food coloring for the lense part of the sunglasses. I am pretty satisified with how it turned out. It tasted good too!

I hope you had a great birthday, Garen. I love youuu!
Until next time,
K

1 comments:

Candace said...

You did such a great job with that cake. And, I love that you love your brothers so much!

Post a Comment