Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Student Teaching: Day 1

Today was my first official day of STUDENT TEACHING.
It really felt like the first day of middle school or high school for me. Back then the first day of school was always a challenge for me. Well, more like the night before was a challenge, because I would be so excited and anxious, I could not sleep at all. This happened last night. I kept tossing and turning and was afraid I would over sleep on my first day. Thankfully I did not over sleep and even had enough time this morning to go to the cafeteria for a delicious breakfast. (Sidenote: People hate on our cafeteria, but the breakfast is always great and is the most consistently good meal they have besides the salad bar).

I was not nervous at all today. I visited the school last Tuesday (first day of school for the students), so I felt comfortable with the school and my cooperating teacher. At this stage, I am still in mainly observation mood. I try to help my teacher out as much as possible without getting in her way. I am learning her system for how she does thing so the transition from her teaching to my teaching runs smoothly for the students. I want to be involved with the students as much as possible so they feel comfortable interacting with me. I am feeling a little hesitant because I don't know how much is OKAY for me at this point. I don't want to interfere with what the teacher is doing. I am still trying to step out of my comfort level and be a little bolder.

The students seem wonderful. Each one of them with their own set of challenges. At this point, I think most of them still see me as just an observer of the classroom and don't realize I will be eventually teaching them. I would like for them to start seeing me as a teacher in the next week or so and get a better understanding of why I am there.

Today was a LONG day, but it was a good one. It was REAL. All of the education classes and even general education classes have lead up to this point. It is all finally coming together to be one amazing and challenging and rewarding semester.

Goals for myself for the next few days for student teaching:
1. Learn all 46(ish) students names.
2. Learn behavior policies and procedures
3. Help the students get organized and stay organized
4. Make effort to get to know the students in some way or another.

Until next time,
K

0 comments:

Post a Comment