Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Argentina Summer Project - Final Week

Reality really set in this week when I realized this was the last full week in Argentina. Very sad! The last part of my trip consisted of being on campus for a few days, having a going away party, and going on a retreat to Colonia, Uruguay. This post will probably be a little longer than the rest, because I will be writing about a 1 ½ weeks of activities.
Monday (Day 36) – Today, Argentina celebrated a national holiday, Flag Day, therefore the campuses were all close.  My team took a trip to La Plata, which is a small city outside of Buenos Aires. It was about a hour bus ride to get there. It was a beautiful and quiet town. By the time we arrived and had lunch, we didn’t have much time to site-see unfortunately. It was nice to hang out with everyone and to have a relaxing day.
Wednesday (Day 38) – Today was our last “work” day for painting at the Ag Project. There was a lot to still be painted so a group of us went to campus at 8:30 AM to paint. We worked until 12ish, and took a little break and continued painting until 6PM. It was a lot of work, but we got a good bit completed! This was also the last time we saw our friends Carolina, Angie, Noelia, and Vale. It was hard saying goodbye to them! Jessie and I wrote them cards and I gave them some headbands I made.
Thursday (Day 39) – Today was our last day on campus. It was weird that we wouldn’t be coming back to this campus anymore. It had become another home for me. I was actually a little nervous about today because I felt lead to giving my friend Maria Sol my English Bible. A few weeks before she had mentioned wanting an English Bible to read and to practice her English, but was having a hard time finding one in Argentina. I will never forget the joy on her face when I gave her my Bible. She is an amazing sister in Christ, and I am glad to been impacted by her and her love for God. We had English Club at 12, which is a chance for the Argentine students to practice their English. My friend, Melisa got ready to leave a few hours later and could not find her bag anywhere! Someone had stolen it :( She was more concerned about her school supplies than anything else because she had a test a few days later. She was able to get a study guide from one of her classmates, and Jessie and I helped her out too.  Melisa was pretty stressed out by the situation (I would be too), but she handled herself very well and I admire her for that.
Friday (Day 40) – I took this day to pack and do some last minute shopping. That evening, we had a going away party and some of my friends from campus came to it! It was really hard saying goodbye to everyone.
Saturday (Day 41) – Today, my team left for a retreat in Colonia, Uruguay. We took a 45 minute ferry ride to this small town. It was right on the water. It kind of reminded me of a smaller version of Charleston. We stayed in a Hostel (http://www.elviajerohostels.com/) here. I was expecting a run-down building, but it was very nice! That night, the hostel owners made us an asado. It was delicious! A guy came in and played some flamenco music for us.
Sunday (Day 42) – This morning we had some praise and worship time. For lunch, I had fajitas. That was the first time since I left the US that I had fajitas. I explored Colonia with some people and even got to go in a little lighthouse. That night, I shared my testimony with the group (everyone on my team shared their testimony). I was very nervous, but I just let the Holy Spirit do the talking :) Later that night, a group of us went star gazing. O my gosh! Absolutely gorgeous. I saw a few shooting stars and even saw the Southern Cross, which is only found in the Southern Hemisphere.
Monday (Day 43) – Today was even more of a chill day than the other two days in Uruguay. I forgot to mention, but I took a LONG nap each day in Uruguay. They said this was our free time and we could relax and that’s how I wanted to relax. The lack of sleep from the past six weeks finally caught up to me in Uruguay. I did a little more sight-seeing today, and ended the night with dinner at this nice restaurant. I ate teriyaki chicken with peppers and rice. One of the best meals of the entire trip and probably the best service of the entire trip.
Tuesday/Wednesday (Day 44 & 45) – Today, we packed up and said goodbye to Uruguay and hello again to Argentina. Today I did the most traveling I have ever done before. We took a ferry back to Buenos Aires. We then took the subway to Vida Estundiantil’s office where our extra luggage was kept. We then got on a bus to take us to the airport. It ended up taking a really long time to get our tickets and go through customs. Our plane was supposed to take off at 8:25 PM, and I didn’t get to the terminal gate until 8:10. Let’s just say I was little on edge for awhile there for fear we would all miss the plane. However, we all made it! I tried napping on the plane, but I was too excited to return home. We arrived in Miami at 4:30 AM. I felt like I had just been here a few days before to leave for Argentina. My first meal back in the States was a Cinnabun. Not the best choice, but was the only thing open and close by to my terminal. I flew to Atlanta with a small layover and was back in Charlotte in the early afternoon. I was home.
I could probably go on and on about my adventures and stories in Argentina. So many amazing things happened. This just a little taste of what I experienced and saw. Please feel free to ask any questions :)
Until next time,
K

0 comments:

Post a Comment