Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Argentina Summer Project - Week 5

By Week 5, our time in Argentina was coming to a close. We still had another week after this one, but it was becoming more real by this point that we would be going home soon. June 14th marked ONE MONTH since I had left for Argentina. The time seemed to fly by. This was a tougher week because one minute I would be homesick and so ready to be home with my family and friends and then the next minute I didn't want to leave Argentina.
Monday (Day 29) - One of the conversations I had on campus today really impacted me. I talked with three girls sitting together: one believed in the Bible and knew a lot of the basic fundamentals. One believed in God, but not Jeus. And one girl did not believe in God at all, but believed in energy. I mean, these are very different viewpoints, and they all feel "correct" in their beliefs. When I tried to present the Gospel to them, they were opened and willing to listen, until I asked about sin and if they believed they sinned. They shut off after this point. We need Jesus to wipe away our sins, but if you don't believe in Jesus or that you have sin...well, it goes against the Gospel. Once I returned to the hotel, we had a dance party and learned some salsa! It was absolutely wonderful and sparked my interest in ballroom and latin style dancing.

Tuesday (Day 30) - We began our service project for the Ag Campus today. Basically everything you see that is red is what needed to be painted. And there are TWO buildings on the Ag Campus that needed to be painted. Lets just say we stayed pretty busy on the days we painted. It was awesome way for us to be able to give back to the students and to advertise Vida Estudiantial.

Thursday (Day 32) - We went to campus as usual this morning, but another campus joined along to help us paint the Ag Campus. It was wonderful having more friends with us on our campus. We had a great time working together and being silly. That night, we had our group Bible Study. Our sweet sweet Bible Study leaders, Shannon and Rene made us sphagetti, broccoli, and peanut butter brownies.

Friday (Day 33) - Another campus joined us again today for painting. Today was pretty special because a group of girls we (Jessie and I) have been meeting with regularly gave us a gift. It was a box of Alfahores and a deck of Spanish playing cards. I am so thankful for our friendships with them and being able to spend so much time with them over the six weeks we were there.


Saturday (Day 34) - This day would be one of the most memorable days of the entire trip. We went to an orphanage that was outside the city. We helped paint the orphanage, put on a skit for the children, and playing with the children. During "play" time, I got EXTREMELY attacked to a little girl named Augustina. She kind of reminded me of myself when I was a little girl. Even though she couldn't understand English and didn't really talk much herself, she was so full of love and would constantly chase after me and give me hugs. I would point to my cheek and ask her: "Un besito, por favor" ...Which means "A little kiss, please". I didn't think I was saying it right, but then she gave me a "besito". It was the sweetest thing. This service project was difficult for me, because I realized how many children are orphaned, and I wonder what will happen to these children in the future. I pray that each of these children in the orphanage will be able to experience God's love and know that they are HIS children. This project also sparked a desire in me to work with orphaned children and to figure out how God can use me in this situation.

Until next time,
K

0 comments:

Post a Comment