Friday, May 27, 2011

Argentina Summer Project: The Culture, The City, The Life

I have gotten a few emails asking different questions about the culture and some of the experiences while I am here in Buenos Aires, Argentina. I would love to share this information with you!

Weather
The first week we were here, the weather was very warm. We even slept with our hotel window open because it was so warm outside. However, last Sunday it rained ALL day and the temperature has dropped dramatically since then. I hope I have brought enough warm clothes! It is not humid here and there really is not much of a breeze, but it is still a little chilly.

Language
Yes the people here speak Spanish, but it is a little different. They speak Catallano. Its a mixture of Spanish and Italian influences. Normally when you say, 'Me llamo Kacey' (my name is Kacey), the double L's would make a 'ya' sound. However, here, the double L's make a 'shh' sound. It was a little different at first, but I was able to catch on to it pretty quickly.

I wish I could say I am able to have a full conversation with people in Catallano, but I can't. I am slowly picking up the language, but it is not coming easily. I can understand people pretty well, but I am struggling to articulate something back to them. Ordering food is still a little challenging, but I am slowly catching on with it.

Food
The first question I would like to answer is: Do I drink the water? Yes. When we arrived, our staff leaders told us it was okay to drink the water. I prepared myself for the worst when I drank the water for the first time thinking I would become really sick, but thankfully I did not. When I go out to eat, all the drinks are served out of glass bottles, even the water. In this country, water is NOT free. I went to one restaurant and my water was 12 pesos, which comes out to about three American dollars. When I go out to eat, I usually do not get a drink just to save some money. We are alotted around 50 pesos every day (13 American dollars), so I do not want to a large chuck of that on a drink. A random and interesting fact about the glass bottled drinks is that people use straws to drink out of them instead of just sipping from them. I love that!

I have eaten a variety of food since I have been here. One thing I have noticed is that while Argentina may have something that is called the same thing in the US, it tastes different. The french fries taste different. The sodas taste different. The ketchup tastes different. The pizza tastes different. Some of the foods I have eaten are: lots of empanadas, pizza, chicken, milanesa (think of a flattened piece of country fried steak), medialunas (croissants with sugar and honey), alfahores (layers of chocolate and creme and amazingness), beef/steak (this country is known for its beef and it is delicious!), Subway (they have Subway!!), Burger King (Whooper), and more. When I go out to eat, there is not much vegetable options so I usually get vegetables from the grocery store.

Cultural Differences
There are a few things that are different. Whenever we meet someone or say goodbye, we 'beso', or kiss. Two people touch their right checks together and that is a beso. Meals are a little different too. The people here eat breakfast and lunch the same time we do, but they have a La Merienda (snack) at the time we would normally have dinner. Here, it is uncommon for people to eat dinner before 9 PM. I still have not caught on to this! I love eating my dinner earlier. Haha. People share alot here. Food. Drinks. Everything. I love sharing, but I don't like sharing germs. I am still getting used to this as well :)

My next post, I will talk more about what we are doing on campus and what we are seeing God do through us.

Until next time,
K

0 comments:

Post a Comment