Monday, September 19, 2011

Student Teaching Adventure Continues...

I have been in my middle school for three whole weeks now. Wow! It’s crazy. Time is zooming by, but each day is jammed packed with excitement and challenges.
Rewarding/Wonderful times:
·         Receiving a sweet card/drawing from one of my students
·         Having my students say “Good morning, Ms. Griffin”
·         Hanging out with my students at lunch
·         When my students are actively engaged in the lesson
·         When the students saw the example of an activity for science and they were excited about it
·         Reading my students writing journals because it gives me a chance to get to know them
·         Driving to and from school because the drive is absolutely beautiful
·         Re-explaining information and seeing the students have an “A-Ha” moment

Challenging times:
·         Chatting students and getting them to follow the expectations
·         Writing and developing lesson plans
·         Lacking in sleep…every night
·         Being flexible with scheduling
·         Not being around in College Lodge especially for my residents
·         Not exercising at much because any free time I have, I want to sleep

This past week, I taught for three full days. My cooperating teacher had family issues to handle, so I took over the class.  It was overwhelming at times, but a learning experience at the same time. While the students drive me crazy sometimes, I really love them. Each of them are so unique and already have a special place in my heart.

Today, we had testing, so the schedule was all crazy. The time that we had for teaching, we ended up letting the students have free period/watching educational videos. This week, I will be working through The Westing Game during literature time.  In science, I will be making clouds out of cotton rounds (I can’t say “balls” in class, but the students will lose it). We will also be reviewing material on the atmosphere, water cycle, and clouds. I plan on teaching them study strategies, playing a review game, and hopefully give a test at the end of the week.

A goal that I have for myself is to work on classroom management especially with the chatting and talkativeness. It can get pretty tough at the end of the day and that is when my patience is low.

God has really been challenging me the past few weeks. I need to make an effort to make time for Him every day. My days need to be God-centered in order for me to have a spirit-filled life. I noticed my spirit not being the same, when I don’t make time for Him. I am thankful that I have a relationship with such a faithful and loving God that hasn’t given up on me.

Have a great week everyone. I hope you are able to make time for God and allow Him to fill up your life.

Until next time,

K

0 comments:

Post a Comment